Preventing And Removing Mold after a Home Flood

by Claire on September 25, 2015

Damage from flooding can occur to more than just carpet or wood flooring. Flood water can cause all sorts of damage that many people don’t consider. One of these things is the growth of mold. Getting this mold removed can take a lot of time, and it can get expensive.

However, mold isn’t the only problems that can come from flooding, especially if you’re the victim of a huge flood. Some people are used to small floods that hit only a single part of their homes, such as the basement. This is usually easy to take care of by yourself as you just dry the floor or carpet and it’s done.

Home Flood

Serious flood damage can destroy many things of value to families. Not only that, there are some dangerous health issues that the whole family can be exposed to. That’s the reason you should never let water or items damaged from water just sit in your home for a long time. It’s vital that you get this cleaned up and remove any mold that developed as a result of the flooding.

The best way to do this is to contact a restoration company with the rights resources and tools to complete the job. When searching for a restoration company, find one that uses restoration management software to effectively keep track of the process and status of the restoration.

Floodwater can damage your home in several ways. These include:

  • Causing a bad smell: Flooding can cause sewers to overflow as well as carrying muddy creek water into your home. The odor from this is hideous and that’s how your house will smell until you’ve got it all cleaned. If your house develops this smell, it’s time for you and your family to get out of it. Breathing in this infected air can attack your lungs and your health. You may have to throw out some things; among them your water damaged carpet. Cleaning it may be possible, but if the odor remains, the carpet must go.
  • Dark spots on the walls: Flood water often stains the walls in a home by leaving a stain at the height it reached. This is particularly noticeable on wallpaper, and usually the wallpaper has to be replaced.
  • Damage to drywall, insulation and hardwood floors: You can expect this to happen along with other disasters like leaks and plumbing issues. This will cost you time and money to fix.

Those are just a few of the various ways that flooding can damage your home. Families have lost nearly everything in floods. So if you live in a flood area, be sure you’re properly insured. That can help you a bit financially.

Taking care of the water and dampness is essential. If the wet conditions are left for too long, mold starts growing. This is only an added expense to the rest of the cleanup processing. There’s also the chance that the mold from the water damage will be toxic. It’s always better to repair this damage quickly and be sure that you’re safe. The longer you put it off, the worse it will be.

{ 1 comment }

You’ll see all sorts of mold removal products for sale in various stores. Too many choices can make it hard to decide which one you need. They also have harsh chemicals that you may not want to use in your home when making juice for your kids. After all, you’re trying to kill the mold in your home, not yourself. One effective and safe way to get rid of mold is through using natural products. These can even be made at home using common items you probably already have.

First of all, you need to be aware that bleach doesn’t kill mold. So if you’re choking yourself with a bleach solution to get rid of the mold in your home, you’re making yourself miserable for nothing. Instead, check into some items that have been proven effective that are available at your local grocery store or health food shop. These include vinegar, grapefruit seed extract and tea tree oil. While they may not work as fast as the stuff you buy at the store, they’re healthier for you.


Vinegar is the easiest to find and cheapest of these products. Most likely, you’ve got some in your kitchen right now. You’ll only be able to find tea tree oil and grapefruit extract at health food stores. Also, they’re both more expensive than vinegar. Tea tree oil carries a strong smell that lots of people don’t like. Grapefruit extract is odorless.

Vinegar has so many uses that nearly all homes keep it on hand. It has been used to remove mold for years. White distilled vinegar can be used either alone or mixed with water. Add it to a spray bottle and soak the mold area. It needs to sit for an hour before wiping it away. There’s a strong smell at first but it doesn’t linger.

Tea tree oil is known to be a highly effective mold removal if you can get past the odor. Simply mix a few teaspoons in with 1 cup of water and pour it into a spray bottle. Shake well and soak the mold area. Leave it sitting for about 30 minutes. Then use a rag or sponge to wipe it off. It may take a couple of days for the odor to dissipate.

Grapefruit seed extract works exactly the same as the other 2 products except it doesn’t have a scent to it. For people that don’t like strong smells, this is the best one to use. Mix 20 to 25 drops of grapefruit seed extract into 1 or 2 cups of water. Put the mixture into a spray bottle and soak the affected area. Leave it to set for about 30 minutes, then use a cloth or sponge to wipe it clean.

Even though mold removal products are easy to find in stores, if you’re not happy with those, you can make your own from the natural ingredients mentioned here.