Facts about Toxic Mold

by Claire on November 21, 2011

There are various kinds of molds, and while most of it is harmless, there is some that can cause sickness. Toxic mold is one kind that people and animals can get sick from because it makes a mycotoxin. This is a dangerous byproduct made by certain mold.

Humans and animals with allergies generally have negative reactions to most kinds of mold. Mycotoxins are likely to cause health issues even in healthy people, though. Possible health issues include headaches, rashes, asthma, lung issues and memory loss.

One of the problems is that when mold is disturbed, it releases spores. You can’t see these spores, so they can be anywhere in your house and you won’t know it. They remain invisible until they start growing. Even if these spores don’t grow, they can still be inhaled. If they accumulate over your house, they can be breathed in by anyone. When the mold is toxic, the spores can cause illness and lung irritation.

The most common toxic mold is known as Stachybotrys chartarum. It’s recognizable from it slimy appearance and greenish-black color. This mold grows on things with cellulose. These items include paper, wood and drywall. This mold doesn’t grow on tile, or cement so it won’t be in your bathroom. If you have a window in your bathroom, though, it can grow on a wooden window frame or the ceiling.

Even if the mold growing in your home isn’t toxic, it still needs to be removed. This won’t go away by itself. It’s only going to get worse and keep destroying things in your house. Eventually, the air quality will get worse and your house will start smelling musty.

Sometimes it can be complicated to remove mold. Getting rid of a small amount in a bathroom isn’t a big deal. You just need mold remover, rubber gloves and time. However, a large area is much harder. For more than 30 square feet of mold removal, it’s better to hire a professional mold removal service. That’s a lot of space and it will need to be done a certain way so that spores don’t spread. You’re trying to remove the threat to your health, so figure out where it started and fully eliminate it.

You also need to deal with the process of cleaning. Odors and spores can spread, depending on which method you use. A professional may use plastic barriers to keep this from happening. Following the cleaning process, professionals check to ensure that spores haven’t spread.

Ridding your house of toxic mold can require a professional’s help. When you take it on yourself, it’s very possible that the spores will spread. Now, from what you know about toxic mold, it should be easy to recognize it. If you see this in your home, you should call a professional for a consultation.

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post:

wordpress stats