Home Mildew Removal Tips

by Claire on November 14, 2011

While most people are familiar with mildew and are used to seeing it in their bathtubs and shower stalls, there are some more things about mildew to learn. Many people believe that just scrubbing the tub or shower will get rid of mildew. It’s a little more involved than that, however. For one thing, mildew isn’t confined only to bathrooms. It can develop anywhere in the house where there’s moisture.

There are various kitchen and bathroom mold removal products on the market and these are what people generally use to control the mildew. All of these aren’t effective. It is important, though, to find a way to completely remove mildew if you have it because it can cause some allergy issues for some with prolonged exposure.

 Home Mildew Removal

Home Mildew Removal

Before you select the proper cleaner for mildew, you need to be sure it’s actually mildew and not mold that you’ve got. If it has a fuzzy texture and is a white or gray color, you’re probably dealing with mildew. On the other hand, if you see spots that are black or dark gray, you’ve probably got toxic black mold. This needs a more serious solution.

Assuming your problem is with mildew, you’ll still need to find the right way to clean it up. For instance, bathroom tile sprays probably won’t be as effective on kitchen counter tops. You’ll also probably want to avoid harmful chemicals such as ammonia or bleach for environmental reasons. Lots of manufacturers are currently making green cleaning products for nearly all house cleaning jobs, and this includes mildew and mold removal.

However, with the economy such as it is, you may need to be budget conscious. In that case, you can create your own cleaning products. An easy mixture of hot water and baking soda can remove fungus. On sensitive and delicate surfaces, you can simply dry brush it with a soft bristle brush. Follow that with washing it with soap and water. This method should be done outside so that spores won’t spread to other parts of your house.

Certain items affected by mildew may be cleaned with a mixture of salt and lemon juice. Simply rub the mixture onto the affected area. Remember, though, that lemon is a natural lightener so you probably don’t want to use it on fabric because it can cause fading. Also, if you must use bleach to remove mildew or prevent it from growing on fabric, mix two tablespoons of bleach into one quart of warm water. Apply this mixture to white fabrics infected with mildew. It should help. Just don’t use bleach on other types of materials because it can’t penetrate below most surface spaces and this is where molds usually are hiding.

All in all, mildew is typically easier to deal with than most types of mold. However, as with all mold issues, if you find that you’ve got a large infected area, it’s usually better to call in a professional mold removal team. This is true even if your problem is a lot of mildew.

Leave a Comment

Next post: